Security Question/Answer reset

One common issue is that the mail server isn't set up for relaying from your sharepoint server. So emails to local email addresses will work fine, but emails to external domains will give you an error. 

If that's not the issue:

Does the email for the request membership web part work?

Check the log file - what does it show for the actual error?

Ok so I tried few things again without doing any changes:

-Forgot pwd webpart  -  it sents a mail for both internal and external email ID's, so this is good news, dont know why it did not sent first time!!
-Creating a user from User Management screen, it creates the user, but only sents email for external email ID, did not sent email to internal ID
-Membership Request WebPart : No user are created, no mails go out, I guess I am giving the right image captcha, still no go.Infact I have never been able to create a user from the Membership Request webpart, Since I have not set it to manage request there is no item in the list as well.

The server is set to relay as "Only the list below" and the current server is listed their(127.0.0.1) .Allow computers which successfully autheticate to relay regardless of the list above, is also checked.

Thanks for your time!

When the emails don't get sent, do you get a message on the web part (Error sending email, or unexpected/unknown error)? If so, check the SharePoint logs to find the actual error message being logged.

If there's no errors, and the user simply isn't receiving the emails, turn on the logging on your smtp server and see what's happening.

One other thing - is any of this happening on SSL pages? If so, there will probably be issues accessing the email templates unless the root certificate is configured as trusted in SharePoint (Central Admin).

Hey ccoulson - sorry for the late reply, could not get time to try out these things.

We do have ssl pages, Extended site, and we will use FBA there, however as of now I was trying out these on the http site.
I am not getting any errors either on the webpart or in the logs.I enabled the SMTP logging(C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1) but it does not seem to log anything.One forum suggested this for SMTP logging, but not sure if i need to do that( I can't). 
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/nl/exchange2010/thread/d120d49d-1a6f-460b-9942-6323aecf0e23

ULS logs do not show anything as well. I will further troubleshoot:-( please let know if any suggestions..
Question: For membership request webpart, I am using the webpart from the gallery and have not created a separate page for it as of now, will that cause any issue?I dont believe so..your thoughts!

I'm surprised there's nothing in the ULS logs.

For the SMTP log, you would have to turn on SMTP logging - I don't believe it usually is turned on by default. I think you need to follow the instructions you linked to if you're using the Exchange smtp server. If you're just using the standard windows smtp server (You configure via the IIS 6 interface), you can just open the properties for it and turn on logging.  If it's not logging anything, it could be that smtp server isn't being contacted - maybe due to misconfiguration in sharepoint. You can login to the smtp server via telnet and manually send a message - instructions are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323350. That should definitely be logged if logging is turned on.

Thanks for the info.Yes I did enable SMTP server logging via IIS 6 manager interface, but still no logs, however there are some very interesting developments :-)

-I put the membership request webpart on a page and it works, creates the user and also sends e-mail! As mentioned, earlier I was just running the webpart from gallery.
The changepassword and forgot pwd webparts are working as expected and mails also go out, so all sudenly looks good.I will have to do some more testing and will get back  in case anything.Thanks again!

Just something crazy happened! After retrieving forgot pwd from the forgot password page, its says "Your password has been sent to you" and it does, but the problem is if you refresh the page, it keeps resetting the pwd and sending mails :-)

Thanks - i've created an work item for this:

http://sharepoint2010fba.codeplex.com/workitem/794

Thanks, just a question:

I am modiyfing the webparts to have image buttons, I could see that there is an option to set image for a button and I changed it on a page I created, however how do i do that for a page under the layouts folder, like _layouts/fba/ChangePassword as the SiteActions->ChangePwd goes to this page ( When I edit the page in notepad, I see a reference to the webpart)
* While I was writing this I guess I figured, if I can copy the same properties it will work, just that it has to be hard coded.

Also, can I remove the cancel button using webpart properties or any other way? ( I tried by removing the text and image for it, but the button still showed although very tiny). I am not sure if we need cancel button.

Let me know your thoughts.

ah! just to add the Cancel button has an issue too, if user clicks on cancel, it throws required field validation error, unless we put some chars there, it does not cancels or redirects...so I was thinking not to have cancel at all...but I guess that would require code modification

I've added a bug to the issue list for the Cancel button.

http://sharepoint2010fba.codeplex.com/workitem/796

Additionally, you can completely customize the layouts of the web parts using templates. See here:

http://sharepoint2010fba.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Customizing%20the%20Web%20Part%20Layout

Thanks ccoulson! Will see how this goes

ccoulson - first of all a big thank you, if you would not have pointed towards changing the webpart layout by modying the control files, I would have been changing and redeploying the webparts :-).

Question: As mentioned before the SiteActions->ChangePassword.aspx goes to _layouts/fba/ChangePassword.aspx but this page is not reflecting the template change and I dont see a direct way to modufy this page as it is in layouts.I am planning to Copy the properties of this webpart from one page and then add those properties on the changepassword.aspx page for the <FBA:ChangePasswordWebPart........ what do you propose?

Thanks.

Also I dont see how to set the "Change Password" Image button here as the properties from my other page do not show that even though I have set a button there and it works fine ( example on this page : /Pages/ChangePassword.aspx  I have set all the properties but when I open in designer to copy the properties, the Image link is not there, surprised, surprised!)

Ok good news I was able to copy the properties from another page and was able to paste that and modified the _layouts/fba/ChangePassword.aspx, viola!

Hey ccoulson - so I am back again... and have qqestion.

The forgot pwd page sents an email on FBA site when I am logged in as a user, however I have made that page to be accessed anonymously as users will 
ONLY use this page if they cannot log in, as they would have forgotten their pwd.

I am able to access the page without loging in, however the forgot pwd functionality does not work and shows this error when an email is provided and submit is clicked."There was an error sending the email, please check with your administrator" .As mentioned this works fine when I am logged in, however in the real word scenario users will only use this page when they cannot log into the site, ie; anonymously.

Please let me know if you have a suggestion!

Thanks,
Sachin

I'm guessing this is an issue with the templates being available anonymously.  Try accessing the email templates directly as an anonymous user.  It should work as long as anonymous access is turned on in the web application settings.

ccoulson - I thought to copy the xslt email template to a place ( May be an anyonymous Library) and then link it to that, however the email templates are not set by property.

I am not sure if I understand.Are you suggesting to make the web application accessed anyonymously? The web has NT as well as FBA authentication and I have enabled anonymous access, just to make the forgot pwd page accessed anonymously, I created a library and provided anonymous acceess to that lib ONLY.How can the users access the email template under layout anonymously.If I make the whole web application as anonymous, wont it defeat the purpose.

May be I am missing something, please throw some light.

Thanks,
Sachin

As long as you have anonymous access turned on for the web application, you should be able to access the templates anonymously from the layouts folder they are installed to. You shouldn't have to turn on anonymous access for the whole site collection or do anything else. That's the default method of accessing the email templates, and i've used it in every implementation i've done.

If you want to put them in an anonymous library, that should work as well (though I haven't tried it).  The web site url is added to their location setting in the FBA Site Configuration page, so just enter the path from the root of the site.