Access Denied with XsilCompiled.Load

I have a site that is Windows AD (NTLM) only (Claims Based). I then "extended' that site and created an FBA Site (Internet Zone).

When I try o Approve a Membership request (by accessing the AD site), I get a "401 Access Denied" error when the "XsilCompiled.Load()" tried to load the MembershipApproved.xslt file. Although, I can type the path in the browser and it opens fine.

I decided to use ProcessMonitor to see what is going on. Right when it tries to open that "xslt" file, it tries to create a "web.config" file (or, maybe it is trying to open one, I am not sure). But the weird part, is it tries to open it in the same path as the "xslt" file (actually, it tries to treat the "xslt" file as a "directory").

Check out the Event from Process Monitor:

Date & Time: 3/13/2012 2:49:52 PM
Event Class: File System
Operation: CreateFile
Result: PATH NOT FOUND
Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\template\layouts\FBA\emails\MembershipApproved.xslt\web.config
TID: 4216
Duration: 0.0000115
Desired Access: Read Attributes
Disposition: Open
Options: Open Reparse Point
Attributes: n/a
ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete
AllocationSize: n/a

First, the web.config lookup is completely normal - the asp.net runtime will look for a web.config in each folder. If one's not found, it uses the file from the parent folder (and so on...).

As for access denied, there's a couple of reason's it might not be able to access the file.  First, make sure that you have the latest version of the FBA Pack. There was a bug fix for passing the security credentials used to access the file. Also, if you are accessing the site via https, you need to configure SharePoint to trust the root certificate (can be done in Central Admin).

Yes, I have ther vesion that passes the credentials and I am not using https.

I can open the file directly in the browser. <scratching head>

I'm not sure - I've had one other person report this as well. I assume it has something to do with permissions, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.