E-mail address disappears

Hey Guys

A customer has a strange problem with SharePoint 2013 FBA Pack 1.3.3.

When he creating a user including e-mail address and save it, the user including the e-mail address appear in the user overview. After a few seconds (sometimes a few minutes) the e-mail address disappears! Re-enter the e-mail address by click on the user doesn't fix the problem!

IMPORTANT: It's not a general problem because some user save their e-mail address without a problem.

System Information:
  • SharePoint 2013 CU January 2016
  • Windows Server 2008R2
  • SharePoint FBA Pack 1.3.3
Can someone help me? Please excuse my bad english.

Kind Regards,
Sandro
I think what's probably happening is that you're using the 'My Site' and user profile service feature. The FBA Pack only updates the user profile information at the site collection level. And when somebody logs into 'My Site' it updates all site collections with their My Site user profile properties - which doesn't include their name or email address. If they update their name and email address on My Site it should propagate to all site collections they've logged into.
Hi ccoulson

I don't think so. User A, B & C all doesn't have a "MySite". Of course you can find their user profile in the User Profile Service but all of them doesn't have a e-mail address there. But for example, when you open "FBA User Management" under Websitesettings User C has a e-mail address and User A & B not.

Below you can find a printscreen. Arrows showing the missing e-mail address.

Regards,
Sandro
That's the only thing I can think of - because the name and email address are there initially, correct? And then they disappear? The only thing I can think of is that something's triggering the user profile service that they've been updated and it overwrites the profile. Maybe try shutting off the user profile service and then updating the values on the site collection - see if at some point they still disappear with the user profile service turned off.
Hey ccoulson

After I have insert the users e-mail address in UPS, the changes I made in FBA User Managemt persist the adjustments.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Sandro

Hi CCoulson,

I am having the same issue with the Forms user management. When I search for multiple users, their email address is missing in the FBA User management. I have checked in the SQL database Userinfo table for the site collection and the email address is present. I have also checked the ASPmembership table in sql. The email id is present here also. Any idea why it is showing blank in the FBA user management ? I would like to know from where (which table) the email address is displayed in the FBA user management

We are using SharePoint 2013 with FBA pack 2013. We don’t have Mysites configured for forms users. also, we do not have user profile sync setup for forms users.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Moreno

Hi Moreno,

In this case the user may simply have never been added to that SharePoint site collection. The FBA database is really only used to authenticate users, so if the user already existed in the database and logged into SharePoint - the only thing SharePoint will have is their username. If the user is added with the FBA Pack (either membership request web part or user management page), the extra information entered will be used to fill out their SharePoint user profile with their name and email address. Same thing happens if the user is created in one site collection and logs into a different site collection: all SharePoint user profiles are local to a site collection, so user profile information is not copied between site collections if you have multiple site collections. (This is actually what My Sites + user profile sync does - it copies the user profile from My Sites to ALL site collections).

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response.
However, since we are not seeing email address values for some FBA users, I still have a query and need to understand as to from where the email address is displayed when I go to Site Settings -> FBA User management
https://Sitename/_layouts/15/FBA/Management/UsersDisp.aspx
Does it display the email address for the FBA users from the ASPnet_membership table or from the userinfo table in sharepoint site collection content database?

Thanks,
Moreno

The email address on usersdisp.aspx is taken from the membership database first, and replaced with the email address in the sharepoint user profile if it exists.

Hi Chris,

Appreciate your response.
Now it is clear as to why the email address is missing in our environment in the usersdisp.aspx.

• All our FBA users do not have email address in the user profile service application. Since there is no email address in the user profile, it does not show it in the userdisp.aspx page although it very much exists in the membership table. So this means, the code which is supposed to validate (if email address exists in the user profile) does not work as expected.

Thanks,
Moreno

Is there a possible solution for this?
I have a client that has to go to the User Profile Application every time they add a user through FBA so they can add their email and name. Otherwise their name and email disappears from the site. Then they are not getting email notifications.
They are asking me for a solution, script or timer job, etc. Not sure yet where the fix would live.

The issue is that they are using My Site. The user profile values in My Site are syncing with the site collection and overwriting them. If they don’t use My Site they should just be able to disable it and the profile syncing and the values will no longer get overwritten. If they do use My Site then the name and email address need to be set there.

Well, they do use My Site. There is a whole other discussion there about getting more content into the users’ My Sites. So I do think disabling it would be the answer here.
Is there no way to programmatically get the email address and name into the User Profile when they create the user using FBA tools?

It can definitely be done, in fact i’ve done some customer specific implementations of this functionality. Unfortunately I haven’t had the time to adapt the functionality to the FBA Pack in a generic enough way that it will work on all systems.