FBA on Existing Web Applications

Hello,

Some background - I’ve been experimenting with FBA Pack for a while now and I have it installed correctly on my development server. I am using SharePoint 2013 Foundation.

My issue - I can only get it to work on new web applications, not web apps I had already created before installing FBA Pack. I have run .\ deploy for each site and have the FBA pack setting entries for each site as expected.

I’ve tried using the “Authentication Providers” button on my existing web apps to enable FBA and specify the membership and role provides, however when accessing a site collections FBA user management page, I get the following error:

“A Membership Provider has not been configured correctly. Check the web.config settings for this web application.”

I chose to modify my machine.config file as covered in the instructions. According to IIS, the membership and role providers are being inherited by all of my web apps and they appear to be configured properly.

I do not get the above error on new web apps, only ones that existed before installing FBA Pack. I imagine something is missing from the configuration of my old web apps but do not know how to get them configured properly.

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I so far love FBA Pack, very well design, can’t wait to build something with it!

Two possibilities I can think of:

1. The web apps you created before installing the FBA Pack still had been configured for FBA, but in the local web.config - now the global settings and the local web config settings are interfering with each other (duplicates).
  2. The existing web apps are running as a different app pool user, which doesn’t have access to the membership database. Give that app pool user dbo permissions to the membership database and you should be good to go.