Full name gets reseted to i:0#.f|fbamember

We have a SharePoint site using FBA with various FBA accounts on it.

Recently, once in a while (Seems to be once a week at the moment) one of the users "Full Name" gets reseted to the fba user name "i:0#.f|fbamember...". Nobody has access to this and I haven't accessed the SharePoint site either. It seems to only happen to this user too, the other are correct. I correct the Full name when it happens, but eventually will come back again.

I'm not sure what would be causing it. The full name is stored at the site collection level, so if the same login is used on a different site collection I can see them not having their full name at the other site collection. But i'm not sure why their full name would be reset to the sharepoint user name on the same site collection.  Do you have any other third party solutions installed on SharePoint that might be making changes to the user's profile?

You mention it's only happening for a certain user. Does he happen to remember what operation he performs just before his full name gets reset?  

After monitoring the problem closer, I see that every morning at 8:00:04 exactly the user gets updated and then the name gets reset. It is too precise to be a human action. It always the same user, and there are 15 other users. They are all "active" users.

I'd say check the timer job history to see what runs at that time. I'd also check your SharePoint log at that time. Hopefully from there you'll be able to find the process that's resetting the full name.

I found nothing in the SharePoint job history at this time. I even tried to run some of the scheduled job that were around this time and could possibly update the user information.

I'm out of idea, taking a look at the log might be a big mess, those log files are huges.

So I finally took a look at the SP logs. Here is an exception that happen at the exact time my user was changed this morning.

02/22/2012 08:00:02.18  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x2FB0)                    0x257C SharePoint 2010 FBA Pack       General                        0000 High     System.ArgumentException: Column 'Status' does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFieldCollection.GetField(String strName, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.GetValue(String strName, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.get_Item(String fieldName)     at Visigo.Sharepoint.FormsBasedAuthentication.MembershipReviewHandler.ItemUpdated(SPItemEventProperties properties) 

I'm not sure about the error itself, but OWSTimer.exe means that this is being run as a timer job. The SharePoint FBA Pack doesn't include any timer jobs, so this is something created on your side. My guess is that the user has created an alert on the Membership Request list, and that is somehow causing the issue.

How do you create an alert on the Membership Request list? I haven't been able to find that out.

Edit : found out

Just when I find out a hint of what could be happening, the issue just stop occurring. I created two users on my site with the two possible scenario that could cause the problem.

So whenever I see it happen again and I have a better clue, I'll let you know. Thank for you help :)

Problem has been occuring again for the past 2 weeks. 2 different user this time, and the one that was suffering of this issue is not suffering from this anymore.

I did see you other message regarding a bug with user alerts. I did test it with my user and nothing happened for 2 days still, and no user on the SharePoint has user alerts (cheked in site admin)

If you're still getting the above error about the Status column, you can fix it by deleting the Membership Request list and redeploying the FBA pack. See here:

http://sharepoint2010fba.codeplex.com/discussions/280468

Hi and Thank.

Do I have to use your UnDeploy and Deploy ps scripts? Or only Deploy? I guess I won't loose any of my members since they are stored in a DB (No SP side created entities)?

Also the "Review Membership Requests" was turned off on my system. Will the solution above will fix the problem? Because I read in another post that this might be working too,

Deploy will automatically undeploy. You won't lose any existing members, but if you have pending members in the membership request list, they'll get lost when you delete it.

I would only expect you to get the above error if Review Membership Requests was turned on, so if it's turned off I don't think this will help at all.

I will try. Let's hope :)

I had version 1.1.0 installed on the SharePoint.

I deleted the Membership request list, undeployed the 1.1.0 and deployed 1.2.0.

Everything was fine, but when I go to Site Actions->Site Settings->Users and Permissions->FBA Membership Request Management and I get a "The webpage cannot be found".

Could it be a future problem (We don't user Membership Request). And is it normal that the list wasn't created?

Nope, that's not normal. Were there any errors when you deployed? I'd deploy again. 

"Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined".

Here's what I typed :

Deploy.ps1 -URL https://blabla.blabla2.com/123/

There's no -URL

.\deploy http://demo2010a:13824/

Ah my bad, I misread the error message the first time (The URL parameter was not set) but it was comming from SP Activate feature.

Worked fine this time and the List is here.

So let's see in the future if the problem persist.

I also installed a Cummulative update to the SharePoint because of a bug we had with our solution.

Thank for your help :)

Wasn't long to see if it was working or not.

I verified "Review Membership Requests" is uncheck.

04/19/2012 01:00:01.77  OWSTIMER.EXE (0x1338)                    0x20C8 SharePoint 2010 FBA Pack       General                        0000 High     System.ArgumentException: Column 'Status' does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFieldCollection.GetField(String strName, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.GetValue(String strName, Boolean bThrowException)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItem.get_Item(String fieldName)     at Visigo.Sharepoint.FormsBasedAuthentication.MembershipReviewHandler.ItemUpdated(SPItemEventProperties properties) 

Why is the ItemUpdated of  the member ship review list triggering is nothing was added or modified in that list?