Full Name

When a new user is created using the webparts the Full Name is the set to the User Name (looks bad if the User Name is numeric-like an account number)...can you provide a Full Name field for the user to fill out? And/Or make the default Full Name set to the First Name + ' ' + LastName?

Actually the membership request web part should already be setting the Name field in SharePoint to First Name + ' ' + LastName.  When I create users using the membership request web part, the users's full name appears in the account drop down on the top left corner of the screen.

Could you maybe try reinstalling the latest version of the FBA Pack, and try it on a clean site? I'm curious what's causing this behavior.

I am using the latest version...clean install on a test machine...i installed the fba pack immedialtely after verifying i had fba working...went back and checked again and confirmed my initial post...i can of course change the Full Name after the account is created...

I took a look at the code some more, and the only reason I can see this not being set is if the user is not added to a group.  Try editing the membership request web part and reselecting a group.  If that doesn't work, try adding a membership request web part to a new page and don't change any of the options - see if creating a user from the new page works.  If this still doesn't solve the problem, after a user is created verify that the user is automatically being added to the group selected in the membership request web part.

Also, I assume you're getting the emails when a new user is created?

Another thing you can try, on the 'FBA Site Configuration' page try changing the setting of 'Review Membership Requests', and see if it works on one setting but not the other.

Hmmm…it does not appear that the new user is being added to the group at all…I changed it from Member to Viewer in the webpart and still no group membership…nor Full Name ….emails are not a problem…OK-when I uncheck the ‘Review Membership Requests’ box it DOES fill out the Full Name properly

Brandt

www.scmanet.org| www.scmapmsi.com| www.scmafs.com | www.scphysicianassurance.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential, protected from disclosure, and/or intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, distribution, printing, or copying of, and any action taken in reliance on the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please destroy the e-mail and any printed copies and notify me immediately at 803-798-6207 or by reply e-mail.

Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 9:57 PM
To: Brandt Smith
Subject: Re: Full Name [Sharepoint2010FBA:258954]

I took a look at the code some more, and the only reason I can see this not being set is if the user is not added to a group. Try editing the membership request web part and reselecting a group. If that doesn't work, try adding a membership request web part to a new page and don't change any of the options - see if creating a user from the new page works. If this still doesn't solve the problem, after a user is created verify that the user is automatically being added to the group selected in the membership request web part.

Also, I assume you're getting the emails when a new user is created?

Another thing you can try, on the 'FBA Site Configuration' page try changing the setting of 'Review Membership Requests', and see if it works on one setting but not the other.

Ok...I finally see what's happening.

When you have 'Review Membership Requests' turned on and a new user registration is requested, that user is added to the Membership database, but it is not added to SharePoint yet.  The users full name resides on the review list, it is not in the membership database.  The user management page displays all of the users in the membership database, whether they are in SharePoint or not - and since the full name isn't in the membership database, it just shows the username as the full name.

Once the user is approved on the membership review list, the user (including full name) is moved from the review list to a SharePoint group.  Now the user and it's full name will be visible in the User Management page.

This is definitely a little confusing.  The user does need to be added to the membership database, to prevent other users from registering the same user again.  I'll look at adding the review data to the User Management page in a future release to minimize the confusion.

I've added a work item:

http://sharepoint2010fba.codeplex.com/workitem/296

Great…even after joining a sp group – the Full Name is the User Name…only when using the ‘Review Membership Request’ tho

Brandt

www.scmanet.org| www.scmapmsi.com| www.scmafs.com | www.scphysicianassurance.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential, protected from disclosure, and/or intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, distribution, printing, or copying of, and any action taken in reliance on the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please destroy the e-mail and any printed copies and notify me immediately at 803-798-6207 or by reply e-mail.

Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:20 PM

Ok...I finally see what's happening.

When you have 'Review Membership Requests' turned on and a new user registration is requested, that user is added to the Membership database, but it is not added to SharePoint yet. The users full name resides on the review list, it is not in the membership database. The user management page displays all of the users in the membership database, whether they are in SharePoint or not - and since the full name isn't in the membership database, it just shows the username as the full name.

Once the user is approved on the membership review list, the user (including full name) is moved from the review list to a SharePoint group. Now the user and it's full name will be visible in the User Management page.

This is definitely a little confusing. The user probably should not be added to the Membership database until the user is approved (so the user will not be available in the user management page until after the user is approved).

That's right, the FBA Pack puts in the full name when it adds the user to a group - it won't happen if you add the user to a group yourself.  If you're using Review Membership Request, just use the Site Membership Review List and approve pending members there.  Then they will get an email with their password and the user will be added with their full name.

But the full name will be the user name at that point…I actually have to edit the user list to ‘fix’ the Full Name

Brandt

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:14 AM

That's right, the FBA Pack puts in the full name when it adds the user to a group - it won't happen if you add the user to a group yourself. If you're using Review Membership Request, just use the Site Membership Review List and approve pending members there. Then they will get an email with their password and the user will be added with their full name.

User Name

It shouldn't be - the full name is stored in the Membership Review List.  If a new user is registered, you should see that user along with their full name in the membership review list. (If you look in the User Management page it will not show their full name). From the membership review list, approve the user and it will be added to a SharePoint group with the full name. Now if you go into the User Management page it should show their full name.  (Note, I don't expect this will work if you've manually added the user to a SharePoint group yourself before approving the user).

It does…but the full name is still the user name…only way I can get the Full Name to be First = Last names is to uncheck the review application box

Brandt

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:27 AM

It shouldn't be - the full name is stored in the Membership Review List. If a new user is registered, you should see that user along with their full name in the membership review list. (If you look in the User Management page it will not show their full name). From the membership review list, approve the user and it will be added to a SharePoint group with the full name. Now if you go into the User Management page it should show their full name. (Note, I don't expect this will work if you've manually added the user to a SharePoint group yourself before approving the user).

Very Strange. The Review Membership Request on should have the same results as having it turned off - just the details are stored in the Membership Review List instead of registering the user immediately. The following works for me (with Review Membership Request turned on):

1. Register user with Membership Request Web Part

2. Approve user on Membership Review List

3. Verify that user is in SharePoint with Full name on User Management page.

If that doesn't work for you, i'm not sure what's going on.  The only other thing I can suggest is using the Visual Studio debugger to see where things are failing.

Brandt

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:56 AM

Very Strange. The Review Membership Request on should have the same results as having it turned off - just the details are stored in the Membership Review List instead of registering the user immediately. The following works for me (with Review Membership Request turned on):

1. Register user with Membership Request Web Part - I added this user…User Name = 8274…First Name = “Corey”…Last Name = “Hunt”

Here is what is in the Membership Review List:

NameUse SHIFT+ENTER to open the menu (new window).http://registration:3514/_layouts/images/blank.gifhttp://registration:3514/_layouts/images/blank.gif

I tried again on my setup using the same Username, First Name and Last Name to see if the values had anything to do with it, but it worked properly on my side.  So i'm not sure what's going on.  I can only suggest maybe trying it on a different environment, or debugging it with Visual Studio to see where things are failing.