Membership Request - Unknown Error

Hello,

I deployed and tested FBA on one site.  All works well including emails being sent.  I they deployed to a second site and when doing a Membership Request receive a Unknown Error after clicking on create user.  We are using SMTP and a rely has been set up.  The Event log on SharePoint does show "The Incoming E-Mail service has completed a batch.  The elapsed time was 00:00:00.  The service processed 0 message(s) in total"  EventID 6871.  I have not been able to find anything in the SharePoint logs that has to do with this issue. 

Thank you

If you get "Unknown Error" there should be the full exception in the SharePoint logs. Try searching for "FBA".

Does other SharePoint email functionality work on that server?

All Sharepoint email functionality works.  I did get it working but am a little confused.  I deployed to https://Client.KWW.com/project/DFKW - this is an Extranet site URL.  The Membership Request here gave me the Unknown Error. I then logged into the site using the default URL http://sharepoint/project/DFKW and the request works.

This would be fine but must of users will be logging into Extranet sit and request is needed there.  What can I do about this??

The problem is probably because it's being accessed by https. You need to register the root certificate with SharePoint so that SharePoint will trust it. Otherwise it will return an error about trusting the connection when reading the email xml templates.

You said “The problem is probably because it's being accessed by https. You need to register the root certificate with SharePoint so that SharePoint will trust it. Otherwise it will return an error about trusting the connection when reading the email xml templates.”

I didn’t setup the SharePoint but to my knowledge the root certificate was registered – had it not been, we would not be able to reach the https sites.

Is there something else I can look at to resolve this issue?

Thank you for all your help

By register the root certificate with SharePoint, I mean add it to the trusted sites in SharePoint. Central Admin -> Security -> Manage Trust.

You said: ” By register the root certificate with SharePoint, I mean add it to the trusted sites in SharePoint. Central Admin -> Security -> Manage Trust.”

My server shows - local - when I click on local it shows certificates. 

As long as local is the root certificate for your ssl certificate (not the ssl certificate itself) you should be fine. Search the log file for FBA after the error occurs and the error will say if it's a trust error or something else. 

Here is the error:

Are is the error:

Failed to open the file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\FBAPackMembershipRequestWebPart.en-US.resx'.        ca7a4eb4-a241-4a7a-a059-35faf00e12a3

03/21/2012 14:54:32.54          w3wp.exe (0x1164)                            0x14D4           SharePoint Foundation                     General                       b9y4    High               #20015: Cannot open "": no such file or folder.         ca7a4eb4-a241-4a7a-a059-35faf00e12a3

I also found The Incoming E-Mail service has completed a batch.  The elapsed time was 00:00:00.  The service processed 0 message(s) in total.

As mentioned - a relay has been setup.  We are able to send internal and external emails from SharePoint.

Very strange

This isn't the error you're looking for. Unfortunately SharePoint logs if the language file for the sites locale does not exist, even though it does correctly load the resources from the default resource file.

Keep looking - there should be another error message.

Thanks for you for all your help.  I hope this is the complete error this time:

ailed to open the file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\FBAPackFeatures.en-US.resx'.    5b1f3e57-278d-4d8d-81b3-4ec1768e91b8
03/21/2012 17:41:22.93     w3wp.exe (0x1164)                           0x0F8C    SharePoint Foundation             General                           b9y4    High        #20015: Cannot open "": no such file or folder.    5b1f3e57-278d-4d8d-81b3-4ec1768e91b8
03/21/2012 17:41:22.93     w3wp.exe (0x1164)                           0x0F8C    SharePoint Foundation             General                           b9y4    High        (#2: Cannot open "": no such file or folder.)    5b1f3e57-278d-4d8d-81b3-4ec1768e91b8
03/21/2012 17:41:22.93     w3wp.exe (0x1164)                           0x0F8C    SharePoint Foundation             General                           b9y9    High        Failed to read resource file "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\FBAPackFeatures.en-US.resx" from feature id "(null)".    5b1f3e57-278d-4d8d-81b3-4ec1768e91b8
03/21/2012 17:41:22.93     w3wp.exe (0x1164)                           0x0F8C    SharePoint Foundation             General                           8e26    Medium      Failed to open the language resource keyfile FBAPackFeatures.    5b1f3e57-278d-4d8d-81b3-4ec1768e91b8
03/21/2012 17:41:22.93     w3wp.exe (0x1164)                           0x0F8C    SharePoint 2010 FBA Pack          General                           0000    High        System.Exception: Error sending mail notification     at Visigo.Sharepoint.FormsBasedAuthentication.MembershipRequest.ApproveMembership(MembershipRequest request, SPWeb web)    5b1f3e57-278d-4d8d-81b3-4ec1768e91b8
03/21/2012 17:41:22.93     w3wp.exe (0x1164)                           0x0F8C    SharePoint 2010 FBA Pack          General                           0000    High        System.Exception: Error sending mail notification     at Visigo.Sharepoint.FormsBasedAuthentication.MembershipRequest.ApproveMembership(MembershipRequest request, SPWeb web)     at Visigo.Sharepoint.FormsBasedAuthentication.MembershipRequestControl.<>c__DisplayClass2.<OnCreatedUser>b__0()    5b1f3e57-278d-4d8d-81b3-4ec1768e91b8

Just a note - if I go to Site Settings==>FBA User Management and Add a user - an email will send from here.

I'm surprised there's no error message about an untrusted certificate, as that would be my guess as to the issue. If you can send an email from FBA User Management - Add a user, then the problem has something to do with the templates. That's the only difference between sending from the web parts and the user management screen - the user management page does not use templates. And it's opening the templates that doesn't work over https if the root certificate is not trusted by SharePoint.  So i'd still guess that is your problem. There's some more details on trusting the certificate at the bottom of this discussion: http://sharepoint2010fba.codeplex.com/discussions/281876. You might want to try adding a new trust with the root certificate - maybe the existing trust is incorrect.

I agree with you - I believe it's the certificate also.  I will speak with the person originally installed before doing anything and give an update as soon as I can

Hi,

I had the same issue with simplier configuration, not https for intranet.

http://servername/ works fine. User got created and email sent out.

AAM http://www.abc.com/ unknow error. AAM is set as intranet. In Log file, beside resource file entry, I didn't find other FBA related entries.

Thank you

Does the rest of the site work properly using the intranet url? How about the FBA managment screens? I assume you extended the web application - did you make all of the FBA web.config changes in the extended web.config?

Thanks for your note. 

The site works fine with the intranet url, in terms of general SharePoint functions. Other part of FBA also works, create roles, list role, view request etc. I re-dployed the FBA pack and still the same error.

There should be an error in the log file when you get "Unknown Error". Does the email sending work when you add a user using the FBA User Management screen?

FBA User Management both internal or intranet URL created user but none of them send email out.

I did find error in Log file when register user from intranet URL. xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:80 is intranet public IP address. When I traced SQL Profile, the user registration only invoked  dbo.aspnet_Membership_GetUserByName. 

03/22/2012 12:21:34.12  w3wp.exe (0x20C8)                        0x1D7C SharePoint 2010 FBA Pack       General                        0000 High     System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it xxx.xx.xxx.xxx:80     at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)     at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---     at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()     at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetNonFileStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials)     at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn) ... eb81cce9-a081-4e58-969c-1836416180b2
03/22/2012 12:21:34.12* w3wp.exe (0x20C8)                        0x1D7C SharePoint 2010 FBA Pack       General                        0000 High     ...    at System.Xml.Xsl.Xslt.XsltLoader.CreateReader(Uri uri, XmlResolver xmlResolver)     at System.Xml.Xsl.Xslt.XsltLoader.Load(Compiler compiler, Object stylesheet, XmlResolver xmlResolver)     at System.Xml.Xsl.Xslt.Compiler.Compile(Object stylesheet, XmlResolver xmlResolver, QilExpression& qil)     at System.Xml.Xsl.XslCompiledTransform.CompileXsltToQil(Object stylesheet, XsltSettings settings, XmlResolver stylesheetResolver)     at System.Xml.Xsl.XslCompiledTransform.LoadInternal(Object stylesheet, XsltSettings settings, XmlResolver stylesheetResolver)     at System.Xml.Xsl.XslCompiledTransform.Load(String stylesheetUri, XsltSettings settings, XmlResolver stylesheetResolver)     at Visigo.Sharepoint.FormsBasedAuthentication.Email.SendEmail(SPWeb web, String emailTo, String xsltTemplate... eb81cce9-a081-4e58-969c-1836416180b2
03/22/2012 12:21:34.12* w3wp.exe (0x20C8)                        0x1D7C SharePoint 2010 FBA Pack       General                        0000 High     ...File, IDictionary xslValues) eb81cce9-a081-4e58-969c-1836416180b2
03/22/2012 12:21:34.13  w3wp.exe (0x20C8)                        0x1D7C SharePoint Foundation          Monitoring                     b4ly Medium   Leaving Monitored Scope (Request (POST:http://www.dotnet-training.ca:80/SitePages/Registration.aspx)). Execution Time=1244.44831675534 eb81cce9-a081-4e58-969c-1836416180b2

So with /servername/ the web parts will send emails, but the user management page won't? That sounds strange, since they both use the same mechanism to send email.

As for the error you sent, it's unable to open the templates using the url. Try to access them manually with your web browser (the path to the templates are in the FBA Site Configuration page). I'd guess there's either an issue with the AAM, so SharePoint is not recognizing the URL, or anonymous access is not turned on for that zone.

I've re-tested the cases. FBA User Management works for both servername and URL, with email sent out.

I was able to access email template (.xls) through URL in browser as anonymous user.