Unable to Modify or Delete FBA Accounts

When I try to edit or delete an FBA account I get an error:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I can create users no problem, I just can't edit or delete them afterwards. Also, I'm running version 1.1.0.

UPDATE: After trying a few different users. Some I can delete and modify, and some I can't. What's up with that??

Thank you,
Travis

My guess would be that this has to do with your SharePoint FBA configuration.  Check through here to make sure all is setup properly:

http://donalconlon.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/configuring-forms-base-authentication-for-sharepoint-2010-using-iis7/

If it all looks good, could you please check your log files and find the error in the log.  It should have a full stack trace that will give me a better idea of what's causing the error.

ccoulson wrote:

If it all looks good, could you please check your log files and find the error in the log.  It should have a full stack trace that will give me a better idea of what's causing the error.

Which logs? Could you point me to a path?

Thank you,
Travis

The ULS logs. Usually:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS

Also, I can modify all of the accounts using .Net Users in IIS. Although, what's even wierder is that some account details in IIS don't match what shows in the FBA User Management window.

Thanks,
Travis

You can only modify them in IIS when you change your default membership provider though, right?  If you can modify them in IIS without changing the default membership provider, that will be a problem.

Some information may not match iis IF the user has been added to SharePoint.  If that's the case it will grab the users name from SharePoint.

I have a seperate site created in IIS that uses the membership. The sharepoint sites are set correctly. I can login with all FBA accounts with no problem.

Here's what I see in the logs:

08/12/2011 16:17:18.19  w3wp.exe (0x1514)                        0x06D4 SharePoint 2010 FBA Pack       General                        0000 High     System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at Visigo.Sharepoint.FormsBasedAuthentication.UserEdit.OnLoad(EventArgs e) 8639671e-ea64-4397-95ae-40c9ef28cf6a

Thanks,
Travis

UserEdit.OnLoad references the membership provider a lot - so it's likely that it can't find the membership provider due to the configuration.  Unfortunately just because you can login doesn't mean it's been completely setup. See this thread:

http://sharepoint2010fba.codeplex.com/discussions/256360

I had the same exact problem described here and the October 18th commit (change set 10343) fixed this issue for me. I have sent ttrout a WSP file with the updated solution and a disclaimer that since the code is unpublished new bugs may have also been introduced.

I have installed the version Tyler sent me and it is working now. :)

Thank you,
Travis

Glad to hear that fixed it!

I am  getting the same System.NullReferenceException when trying to edit accounts.  Tyler can you send me the same update that fixed the issue for ttrout.

Tyler can you send me good version please

Can someone confirm this has been included in the latest releases so I don't get emails this issue?

Thanks!

This is fixed in 1.2.0.