Upgrade from FBA 2010

Hello there,

I am migrating my FBA sites from sharepoint 2010 to sharepoint 2013. We used FBA 2010 on the 2010 site, and after i deploy successfully the 2013 version (on sharepoint 2013), the test database upgrade command still returns that the feature 'd57f4817-f1f9-42aa-863c-139804c731b0' is missing.

Is this not a direct upgrade for the old FBA pack? Has anyone done this? do i have to install the 2010 pack on the server and then uninstall or upgrade it? does it upgrade right overtop of the 2010 version?

I am going to play around with it, however i was just wondering if anyone else went from 2010 -2013 and also upgraded this FBA pack at the same time.
Unfortunately I haven't tested this with a 2010-2013 SharePoint upgrade, only on a new SharePoint 2013 installation, so i'm not sure about any upgrade issues.

This is essentially a direct conversion of the 2010 project to 2013, with some small changes to make it work with SharePoint 2013 and .Net 4.0.

The feature id's haven't changed, so i'm not sure why you're getting the error you're getting. Have you deployed the FBA Pack to all web applications?

You shouldn't have to install the 2010 fba pack on the server. For new installs and updates for both 2010 and 2013, the deploy command removes any old versions first before installing the new version.
so what i did was install 2010 version, and then when i get the sites all in, hopefully sometime today, i will "upgrade" to 2013. as you say it removes old versions then that is perfect!

will keep the thread updated with progress.
yeah it upgraded fine. no idea why i got errors, but it seems the best way to do it to not have errors, is to install 2010 first, move the content DB's over and mount them, upgrade the sites from the web gui, and then after all that is done and they are running, then install 2013 fba. It did go through and remove and successfully upgrade FBA 2010 so all good.
Hi,

I am in the same boat. I would appreciate if you can give me a little more details.

Did you copy the SharePoint 2010 FBA database to new environment and then apply the SharePoint 2013 FBA.
Did all the users with password got carried over.

Thanks in advance.

Sandy
Yes, this should work. Just ensure the membersip provider entries have the same properties set and you should be good to go. I've gone into a little bit more detail with your other question here:

https://sharepoint2013fba.codeplex.com/discussions/651262#post1463120
Thanks Chris, can you also tell me if extranet users created using FBA require CAL license.
From what I read extranet users do not require CAL license but our vendors for dedicated server say that they require it.

regards
Sandy
I'm not an expert in licensing, so you'll really have to talk to your vendors or give MS a call. My understanding though is:
SharePoint Foundation: No additional license needed, but needs to run on a server that is licensed for web hosting (I think all editions of server 2012 are, but previous server versions you needed either the web edition or to purchase an extra license).

SharePoint Standard or Enterprise: Before SharePoint 2013 I think you needed some special web/server license that was pretty expensive. For 2013 it looks like no other license is necessary:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/Licensing/learn-more/brief-sharepoint-server-2013.aspx